Nissan Releases the 2012 Model Year Nissan GT-R
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. announced the launch of the 2012 model year Nissan GT-R. The new model goes on sale November 24 in Japan and arrives in European showrooms in January 2012.
At a glance
- More power (550PS), improved economy and lower emissions
- Enhanced transmission shift feel
- Special race tuned oils used in differential
- Body strengthened for even greater handling finesse
- Ceramic brakes option according to model
- New Bose® Precision Sound System woofers
- Rear view camera now standard
Significant improvements to the engine, chassis and transmission, which accentuates the pure performance potential of the GT-R are the key changes to Nissan's flagship model for the 2012 model year.
When it was launched, the iconic GT-R created a new type of super car. Performance and handling were exceptional, of course, but more importantly the car's potential was accessible to all drivers under all conditions. It was greeted with universal praise but Nissan's policy of constant development means the GT-R continues to evolve.
The latest version, which is due on sale in Europe in January 2012, is the most efficient yet. It offers even greater performance but this is allied to improved economy and lower emissions to provide further excitement to drivers and passengers.
2012 MY Nissan GT-R Overview
1. Mechanical Features
By improving the GT-R's engine efficiency, its fuel economy has been decreased from 12L. to 11.8L/100 Kms, while engine output rises significantly from 390kW to 404kW (550PS) from /6,400rpm with maximum torque of from 612 to 632Nm(64.5kgfm) from 3,200 to 5,800 rpm.
Engine response and torque at mid- and low-speeds, and power at high revolutions, has been significantly improved, mainly due to:
- Improved intake efficiency
- Better air flow resistance, which has been reduced by the addition of an intake manifold fitted to the head of each unit and the use of resin in the enlarged air intake duct for the intercooler.
- Improved exhaust emissions efficiency and enhanced control.
- Reduced air flow resistance thanks to a more compact under floor catalyzer which improves emissions efficiency and reduces weight.
- Improved exhaust valve cooling performance by the adoption of a newly-designed metallic sodium-filled valve. At the same time, valve control timing, the air mixture ratio and ignition timing have been improved.
Shift feels and quietness has been refined thanks to a strengthened design of the shift fork arm and a firmer fixing bearing for the flywheel housing. A special differential oil R35 COMPETITION Type 2189E (75W140), which was developed for competition is now used in every version of GT-R.
As well as greater power and torque, the reinforcing of certain areas around the rear part of the engine compartment and dash panel deliver more responsive handling while a greater sense of the vehicle's grip on the road is transmitted to the driver.
At the same time, more precise production methods, accompanied by advancements made in the vehicle body, have improved the inter-vehicle detection capability. This was achieved by changes in the positioning of the sensor and more rigid, highly-damped vehicle body, and by adding a more accurate acceleration sensor in areas with higher sensitivity in the vibration testing of each vehicle body.
Suspension and brakes
NCCB (Nissan Carbon Ceramic Brakes) are available as a factory-installed option for the GT-R Premium Edition. These brakes accentuate the car's agile road hold and supple ride feel thanks to a dramatically-reduced spring weight and refined, sharp braking performance unique to carbon ceramics. (In addition, service parts prices for the rotors and pads have been reduced.)
The quality feel of the instruments placed in front of the driver have been enhanced by the addition of blue lighting inside the tachometer ring to match the shift position indicator light giving a more sophisticated atmosphere in the cockpit.
Rear View Camera device will be standard on all models.
The Bose® sound system woofers, have been changed to Bose® Precision Sound System woofers to further enhance sound quality.
With the latest 2012MY version, the legend that is the Nissan GT-R continues to evolve.